After much anticipation and wait finally, we have Huawei Mate 9. Months of speculations and rumours don’t do this device justice because Mate 9 has all the markings of being the best phablet of 2016. With Samsung Galaxy Note7 on fire (no pun intended) Huawei has the stage with its amazing new phone which will be a perfect fit for those who care deeply about battery life, fast charging and some niche features like black and white photography.
The company hosted an exclusive first-hand experience event to introduce the long promised gadget and to reveal its features. Huawei Mate 9 has the following specifications to offer:
- Screen: 5.9in 1080p LCD (373ppi)
- Processor: Octa-core Huawei Kirin 960
- RAM: 4GB of RAM
- Storage: 64GB + microSD card
- Operating system: Android 7.0 with EMUI 5
- Camera: 12MP RGB with OIS + 20MP monochrome rear cameras, 8MP front-facing camera
- Connectivity: LTE, dual-sim, Wi-Fi, NFC, USB-C, Bluetooth 4.2 and GPS
- Dimensions: 156.9 x 78.9 x 7.9 mm
- Weight: 190g
Body, Design & Display
Mate 9 has the same design as its predecessor Mate 8 and has a rock solid build quality. It has a full metal unibody, Fingerprint sensor on the back, USB-C port on the bottom and 1,920 x 1,080-pixel resolution. For all those who are objecting to the lack of QHD panel, Mate 9 has the same resolution as the iPhone 7 Plus, but unlike Apple, it has featured a 3.5mm headphone jack (Thank God for that). But unlike Samsung and Apple Huawei’s new instalment has a very generic design
Battery Life & Charging
The advantage of not having QHD panel is that it has a longer battery life. Huawei Mate 9 has 4,000mAh battery and Supercharge feature that promises a full day battery life with just 20 minutes of charging. The supercharging feature is a life saver for all those who always remember that their phone needs charging at the verge of leaving the house. It also has an ultra battery mode that saves battery for when you need it.
Camera & Picture Quality
The mobile phone company’s partnership with Leica is reaping the benefit of a dual-camera system where the basic idea is to combine a monochrome sensor that takes very sharp photos with a colour sensor to get very sharp colour pictures. Mate 9 has an easy to use camera with its standard auto mode settings but also offer a set of options for its more artistic users. All in all, it has an impressive camera that is capable of taking amazing pictures. Mate 9 also has rid itself of beauty mode in its front camera thus we can expect more natural selfies than in the past.
Additional Praiseworthy Features
While most of the users focus on the above-mentioned features, there are some small praiseworthy improvements in Huawei’s new gadget:
- It’s super fast to use and improved EMUI makes sure that user can get to most features with fewer clicks
- It has stereo speakers with four directional mics which mean that it can listen to sounds coming from a specific direction and mute all other sounds
- The phone has IR blaster in case anyone wants to use the device a remote
Though the phone is not water proof and lacks in innovative designs like its competition but rest of the features more than make up for it. It has super charging battery, an amazing camera and spectacular specs that makes it a unique addition to the Huawei’s family.