Remember the times when getting a driving license was a testament to a person’s patient nature, well the citizens of Punjab won’t be troubled with such a process anymore. Pakistan Information Technology Board (PITB) brings a digitized solution for our problem, introducing Driving License Issuance and Management System (DLIMS).
Through DLIMS the Punjab government has centralized the process of issuing driving license across the 36 districts in the province. Now one has to go to their website to see how they can apply for a driving license, to verify someone else’s license and to also track license’s status and its delivery.
How to Apply for a Driving License
Here are a few steps to ensure a seamless process of obtaining a new regular license
- Log into the DLIMS website
- Go to the downloads section to obtain the relevant form
- Go to the Licensing Centre tab and look for the one closest to you
- Submit all of your documents required for obtaining a license
- Appear before licensing authority in person, after 42 days of learning period
- Pass the theoretical test
- Pass a driving test
If a person only wants to obtain a new International license, a duplicate license or wants to renew his license, the applicant only has to submit the required documents.
Required Documents for Driving License
Following are the documents required by the licensing authorities:
For Learner’s License
- A copy of C.N.I.C
- A Ticket of Rs.60 from any Post Office.
- Receive Code Book of Traffic Rules & Regulation from Traffic Police Office.
- Medical Certificate (for the candidates of 50 years or more)
The age limit for the learner’s permit is 18 yrs for Motorcycle/ Car, LTV (Rikshaw, Taxi, Tractor Commercial) and 22 yrs for HTV
For Permanent License
- Application Form (A) within FileCover
- Original Learner Permit of at least 6 weeks.
- Medical Certificate
- 3 Passport Sized Photograph (Attested)
- An Attested Copy of C.N.I.C.
- Paste a Ticket of Mentioned Fee on License Document
For Renewal of a Driving License
- Required Application Form E within FileCover
- 2 Passport Sized Photograph
- A copy of NIC
- Original Driving License
- Medical Report
- A Ticket of relevant License
The renewal fee for Motorcycle is PKR 500, For car LTV (PSV), Tractor Commercial PKR 750 and for HTV (PSV) PKR 1000. The license is renewed for five years
For International License
- Required International Application Form within FileCover
- An attested copy of C.N.I.C.
- A copy of Valid Driving License issued from Lahore.
- A copy of Pakistani Passport valid for at least 6 Months with Visa.
- 2 attested Passport Sized Photographs
- Rs. 66 Court Fee Ticket.
- Rs. 450 BankChallan Fee.
The applicant is also required to bring his original C.N.I.C, Driving License and Passport with him.
For Duplicate License
- Required Duplicate Application Form within FileCover
- An attested copy of C.N.I.C.
- 2 Attested fresh Passport Sized Photograph
- Report from Computer section for Computerized License or A certificate issued by relevant Post Office which expresses the expiry date of the license.
- FIR (Lost License report) of the Police Station.
- Tickets will be pasted according to the schedule.
The duplicate fee for Motorcycle is PKR 100, For car LTV PKR 150 and for HTV PKR 200. The license is renewed for five years
The complete process is not yet digitized as the licensing authority keeps a manual record of these documents. Thus, an applicant has to visit a licensing authority’s office in person to submit all of the required documents in hardcopy. But, we hope that with the start of a centralized system, the government will consider digitizing its licensing system completely.
The DLIMS also aims to help the Electronic Challan System. Using this website, Challan ticket issuing authority can verify a license at the spot.