Biometric system NA-120 biometric voting machine

As we previously reported, Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) was planning to introduce biometric voting machines in the by-elections in NA 120 constituency. Now, according to The Nation, the authority has verified over 24,000 votes using these machines.

ECP installed 100 biometric voting machines in 39 polling stations in the NA-120 constituency as part of the pilot project to check whether they can be used in the general elections next year.

Around 88 percent of the votes cast through the biometric system was verified whereas the rest of 12 percent votes could not be verified due to the data provided by the National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA).

The project seems like a success and maybe looking at the turnout the commission will finally approve of using the new biometric system in the general elections instead of the old and outdated system of polling.

For decades, Pakistan has been plagued by the horrors of election rigging and by the introduction of the biometric system, the people would finally be able to bring forth the leader that they want.

The NA-10 by-elections were conducted to fill the vacancy left open due to the disqualification of the former Prime Minister Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif. Earlier this year, a five-member bench of the Supreme Court of Pakistan unanimously disqualified the PM on the account of undeclared receivables.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of