The Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has arrested a group of criminals who were involved in selling noncustom paid or stolen vehicles through OLX, online marketplace.
According to the local media, FIA has busted the gang and arrested two people during a raid in capital city’s Federal B area. The agency came to know about fraudulent activities of the gang after a victim reported a crime to Additional Director of Cyber Crime Circle, Younas Chandio.
As per the details, citizen bought a car at OLX, and when he visited excise and taxation department, he came to know that the registration documents are fake and the department cannot transfer the vehicle registration to his name. Moreover, the excise confiscated the vehicle.
Online fraud in Pakistan is somehow a new phenomenon, and sadly there are no proper regulations and laws in Pakistan to control such crimes. However, here are some tips which can save you from trouble.
Tips to be Safe
- Never pay cash to the seller, always ask for a bank account number. Bank accounts are easily traceable, and there are fewer chances of fraud if you involve banking channels.
- Always verify the product documents before paying anything. In the case of vehicles, you can use excise website and confirm the car details. It’s even better if you visit the excise office before the purchase.
- People often advise that don’t fall to lucrative, attractive offers. It’s tricky as sometimes sellers at online marketplaces put enticing prices due to some other reasons. For example, they want to sell it quickly to buy another product. So, do check out products with low rates, however, make sure to check the originality and follow the process with the presence of mind.
- If you are buying a car, take a trained mechanic with you or hire some company dealing with verification of the vehicles. Don’t just concentrate on the body and mechanical parts of a car, do check out the chassis and engine numbers and look for alterations.
- The government should devise laws related to online crimes. Although Advisor to PM, Zulfi Bukhari had stated that government is thinking to formulate some bills, we still haven’t seen any progress.
- There should be an online database, from where people can verify the status of the product regarding involvement in any crime or if it is being stolen.