Government to amend constitution to eliminate blasphemous content?

Government to amend constitution to eliminate blasphemous content

Pakistan may witness constitutional changes leading to the solution of blasphemous content on social media platforms.

Standing Senate Committee on Information Technology and Telecommunications has offered PTA assistance on amending the constitution to battle the cases of blasphemous content. Senator Shahi Syed criticizing the culprits said that no one could be allowed to spread blasphemous content in the guise of freedom of expression.

The committee offered its full support to Chairman PTA, Ismail Shah ensuring him of the required help to eliminate the blasphemous content on social media pages.

PTA Chairman, Ismail Shah in the meeting today revealed that 25 officers are working towards blocking the blasphemous content. Responding to the complaints filed by the public, the authority has taken action against many links on the Internet.

According to Mr. Shah, around 15 percent of the blasphemous content on the Internet is present on Facebook, whereas the rest of 85% can be found on other websites.

Previously IHC asked authorities to ban social media platforms if that’s what it takes to eliminate blasphemous content. Interior Minister Chaudhary Nisar also met with the envoys of 27 Muslim countries to create a future course of action against the social media blasphemy.

A delegation from Facebook will also visit Pakistan in the near future to discuss this issue with the concerned authorities. Upset with the social media network, the European Union (EU) also warned Facebook and Twitter to change their policies according to the norms of various countries.

The blasphemous content on social media hurt the sentiments of Muslims and Minister of IT Anusha Rahman recalled the ban on Youtube because of the blasphemous video on the platform.

Justice Shaukat Aziz during the hearing of the blasphemy case was displeased over the role of Ministry of IT and held them responsible for the slow progress of the case. He then said:

“Minister of State for Information and Technology Anusha Rehman seemed reluctant to make possible amendments in Information Technology Act.”

Anusha Rahman at the Standing Committee meeting also said that the cybercrime law gives FIA power to take action against the culprits. IHC also suggested in one of the hearings to amend the said cybercrime law to include the sections of blasphemy and pornography.

Earlier this week, PTA decided to form cybersecurity directorate to keep a check on blasphemous content. The authority will take the services of IT, legal experts Director General (DG) Technical, DG Regulation, and ten other officials.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *