LUMS Student Branch in collaboration with IEEE COMSOC(Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Communication Society) and UET Lahore organized a 4-day COMSOC Summer School 2018 on the theme of ‘The Intelligent Communication Networks’ at the Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering, LUMS.
The COMSOC Summer School came into being with the idea of elevating the research among the fresh graduates, MS and Ph.D. students.
It was a 4-day event whereas 40 researchers and 10 speakers participated in the summer school. International speakers were from the University of Oklahoma (USA), University of Leeds (UK), Vodafone (UK) and NEC Labs Europe (Germany) whereas the national speakers were from LUMS, ITU and UET Lahore.
Technical talks were delivered on the topics such as:
- Emerging Technologies for Intelligent Communication Network Design and Deployment
- OFDM: The Theory of Practice
- Blind Deconvolution using Deep Generative Priors
- NFV and SDN – Key Technology Enablers for 5G Networks
- Crossroads between machine learning, signal processing, and communications
- Leveraging AI for Designing Lean, Elastic, Agile and Proactive (LEAP) Wireless Networks of the Future: Case Studies, Challenges, and Opportunities
- Analyzing Self-Driving Networks: A Systems Thinking Approach
- Internet of Things (IoT) – A Digitally Connected Society
- Towards Intelligent Receiver Design for Nano-Scale Communication Systems Operating in the Terahertz Band
- Factor Graphs in Channel Coding
Dr. Shahid Masood (Dean SBASSE LUMS and the acting Vice Chancellor LUMS) was the chief guest of the opening ceremony. Kashif Bashir (Chair IEEE COMSOC Lahore Chapter & Manager HUTIC UET Lahore) was the distinguished guest among others. Dr. Waqar Mahmood (Director KICS UET) was the chief guest of the closing ceremony.
For the last three years (from 2016 to 2018), the IEEE COMSOC Summer School has been taking place in Pakistan. In 2016, the summer school was jointly organized by Punjab University and UET Lahore and then in 2017, it was organized with a joint collaboration of FAST university and UET Lahore.