Features like Secret conversations are the way to protect your private discussion on the social media from reaching into the wrong hands. The feature is active on apps like WhatsApp and various others by default, but on Facebook’s messenger app, you have to turn it on for desired people manually.
The feature which Facebook is calling Secret Conversations provides end-to-end encryption between the two smartphones so that no external intervention can decrypt them, not even the Facebook employees. It is entirely in contrast to the normal chats which Facebook encrypt until they reach the company’s server.
The reason these conversations are secret because they are encrypted and get deleted on both sender’s and recipient’s devices after a specific time. From your messenger app, you can set the time from 5 seconds to 1 day after which the message will disappear automatically.
Secret Conversations are only available on Android and iOS, and your device needs to have the latest version of the messenger app
How we can do it, let’s find out in the following paras.
How To Know If A Message Is Encrypted?
When you get an encrypted message from anyone, if the notification says “Someone sent you a message,” then it is an encrypted message. If the notification tells the name of the sender, the message is not encrypted.
How To Enable On Android Devices
On the Android devices, you can enable the feature in two ways;
- Open the messenger app and tap on the ‘home’ icon at the bottom left as shown in the image below.
- click on the ‘write message’ icon at the bottom right
- On the next screen, click on the lock icon located at the top right corner. The top bar will turn black from default blue color.
- Select the contact you wish to talk to from the search box
- Now the feature is active and you can select the time to delete the message by tapping the clock icon in the type box.
The second method is even easier. Open the messenger app, select a contact.
- Tap on ‘i’ icon on the top right corner as shown in the following image.
- This will open a menu where you can tap on ‘Go to Secret Conversation.’ That’s it.
In either of the above cases, you can chat as shown in the following screens and you will see the messages getting disappeared on both the devices after selected time from the clock icon.
How To Know The Device’s Key
To further ensure If you want to identify a secret message, you can compare the “device keys,” a special code that exists on both the devices.
On the same screen as shown in the above image, tap on the same ‘i’ icon on the top right corner, and you will get the ‘Details’ menu where you will have the option to know ‘Your Keys’ and ‘Recipient’s Keys’ that you can compare to ensure security.