The Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB) has issued the first IT policy draft for Punjab. This draft also includes information and data security policy, electronic hardware manufacturing policy.
Chairperson PITB Umar Saif who has recently been included in the top 500 Muslims list of 2016, presented the IT policy draft to the participants at the 3rd PITB Roundtable Conference, which was attended by more than 150 executives from the IT sector and academia. He said that this draft covers 30 departments including education, health, and governance.
According to Dr. Umar Saif, the purpose of developing this policy was to introduce e-Governance in Punjab.
During the last ten years, a lot of new IT companies have been launched in Pakistan and the IT-related exports have increased up to $519 million during the fiscal year (FY) 2014-15.
PITB has issued this draft on its website for getting the comments from the people. The policy will be finalized once the process of getting the feedback from the public is completed. This draft is introduced for the development of Information Technology in the country.
Furthermore, according to the draft, the broadband internet will be declared as a public utility, Wi-Fi hotspots will be established in the main cities of Punjab to provide the internet access to everyone, special IT economic zones will be established.
Summary of the IT policy draft
The draft policy has 10 major goals,these are:
- Provide affordable digital services to everyone.
- Position Punjab as the IT R&D and innovation hub of Pakistan.
- Set Punjab as the favorite destination for local and international investment in the IT/ITES/EHM sector.
- Enable the entrepreneurial ecosystem to flourish in the field of IT/ITES/EHM.
- Increase economic inclusion and incentivise investment in innovative ICT technologies to promote e-commerce in the province.
- Create an enabling environment for IT Technologies and their safe usage through policy reform and improvements in the legal framework.
- Use ICTs for enhancing the capabilities of citizens and setting forward a more inclusive and broader human development agenda.
- To endeavor for rapid expansion and growth of the knowledge-based economy in the
- Strengthen and build human resource and increase employment opportunities through the use of ICTs.
- To utilize ICT for a more efficient transparent and green governance model in Punjab.